Young Adult Drug Counseling
The program at Silvermist is built to combat the disproportionate number of young adults who have fallen into addiction and are at great risk, particularly due to the presence of opioid use disorders. To address treatment concerns specific to young adult developmental needs, we incorporate the following topics into treatment at Silvermist’s Pennsylvania drug counseling:
- Boundary setting
- Grief and loss
- Communication and problem-solving skills
- Interpersonal relationships
- Goal setting
- Establishing a purpose
- Moving from identity crisis to identify capital
- Leadership training and goal setting
- Identifying community resources
Additional Services Offered at Silvermist to Assist Young Adults:
- Career counseling
- Financial counseling
- Education and support for sexual health
- Daily life skills counseling
- Motivational enhancement counseling
- Vocational Rehabilitation
- Educational and vocational skills
- Social skills development
- Rebuilding family systems
- Early recovery skills
- Wellness and nutrition
- Sex and intimacy
Young Adults and Substance Abuse Statistics
The young adult age group sees the highest rates of abuse of prescription opioid pain relievers, ADHD stimulants and anti-anxiety drugs.
In 2014, more than 1,700 young adults died from prescription drug overdoses—more than from overdoses of any other drug, including heroin and cocaine combined—and many more needed emergency treatment.
About one out of every six American young adults battled a substance use disorder in 2014. This represents the highest percentage out of any age group at 16.3 percent.
Heroin addiction among young adults has doubled in the past 10 years.